Music Banter - View Single Post - How many genres?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 11:10 PM   #36 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Funeral Doom?

My my my. They can't even come up with names that don't sound completely ridiculous anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
If it wasn't for metal kids getting their knickers in a twist over sub-sub-sub genres ,we wouldn't have such amusing threads as this one...

http://www.musicbanter.com/rock-meta...tml#post346462

I think it becomes apparent after a few posts that they are either making this up as they go along or they have no idea what the hell they are talking about.
Of course the term 'funeral doom' is going to sound stupid to you guys since you probably don't listen to any doom. But it has been around for a long time and is worthy of a genre tag. Funeral doom is an apt title... I don't listen to that much of it, but some of it is strikingly beautiful.

E.g. funeral doom might be to doom what the Canterbury scene is to prog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Yeah it was at Hammersmith Odeon in London, and that you tube track just reminded me how bad they were! The music is tolerable, but those vocals drive me insane! Did you hear Candlemass before Sabbath at all? If I had heard these first I would have probably been into these instead, but next to Sabbath-it's just a rehash! It's only an opinion though.
I don't think Candlemass sounds like a rehash of Sabbath, but I can see why you might think that if you don't listen to much doom. Candlemass has always had a very epic sort of sound. The real Sabbath clones are to be found in traditional/stoner doom. I like Messiah but I can see how he would get on some people's nerves. I actually prefer the vocals on Epicus Doomicus Metallicus - the vocalist there was a session pop singer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I understand that we have to give broad genre descriptions, that's a given. I just don't understand how many more genres are popping along every week. One of the latest I have heard is BATTLE METAL-for god's sake where does this crap come from? DRAGONFORCE are an exponent, and all they are doing is speeding up bands like HELLOWEEN, it's not original at all, so why the genre tag.
Yeah, battle metal is a stupid genre tag. I think it started as a bit of a joke term when Turisas released an album by that title.