Music Banter - View Single Post - How many genres?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #37 (permalink)
Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01
#1 Schuldinist.

I lump all my favorite metal bands into the following just to keep it simple. Mainly for the purpose of organizing my cd case and nothing more.

Nu-metal (This includes Alternative Metal)
Metalcore
Deathcore
Grindcore
Heavy Metal
Thrash Metal
Power Metal
"Dark" Metal (Not a genre name, of course, but includes Black Metal, Symphonic Metal, Gothic Metal, and eventually Doom Metal)
Death Metal (Includes both melo and brutal, and the in between).

As far as progressive metal goes, I have very VERY few of them, and I'll throw them in whatever genre I hear most from.

I don't look down on any particular genre, and I'm not arrogant enough to deny that there are generic bands in all genres. Every genre has knock offs. I just draw the line somewhere. Like, for instance, I would most likely favor any Death metal band, generic or not, over any nu-metal band everytime, and I'll most likely look at every nu-metal band and say "typical nu-garbage", yet my favorite band overall happens to be a nu-metal band (Disturbed). I'll go to shows that headline a band I love but have various hardcore acts following them who all play the same ****ing breakdowns everytime and I'll b*tch about it, BUT then I'll put in All That Remains or Elysia in my Cd player and rock out with my **** out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is while I use genres mainly to organize my cd's, I'll use them in order to find music I like and avoid music I don't like. Odds are I'm gonna find more bands I like in Death Metal than in nu-metal because of innovation and technicality. I go with the odds.

It's kind of how when I'm going through a bad neighborhood and I see a group of black guys, my white man instincts will tell me to avoid them, but I won't condemn an entire race because of that.

I've read this and I will understand if you call me a retard. I kind of babble on now and then. I'll give you a dollar if you understand what I'm saying.
And taste a memory
Of a time in life
When years seemed to stand still
Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01 is offline   Reply With Quote