Music Banter - View Single Post - Ryan Adams appr.
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimintheundertow View Post
i dont think he even knows what his real singing voice is but he writes good songs nonetheless
lol. Probably not.

I was out the other night and some drunk guy was playing "Oh My Sweet Carolina" on the steps of a burger joint in Harvard Sq. and I really thought "whoever wrote this song probably thought this was how it was supposed to be played." (when he finished I asked him who wrote it)

Ryan Adams has the right idea about country music, he never gets cliched-ly indulgent. I don't think he has ever said "well this is what im supposed to remember fondly about the south" or anything like that. You get the feeling that he actually felt these things, even if he didn't. And the best thing I can say about him is that you get that feeling in cover versions of his songs as well, its written so well that you can hear his emotion when other people sing it.

As I mentioned before, he can be a Doherty-level twat, especially with his early comments on the Stripes, but hes clearly one of the five best reasons the american music market isn't dead.