Music Banter - View Single Post - The Coffeeshop 100
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
coffeeshop
From beyond the grave

94. Ciccone Youth- The Whitey Album- 1988

Ok this is the first presence of Sonic Youth on the list and not the last. This album is so complicated to explain that I might die trying.

First let's ask the question now what would happen if Thurston, Kim and Mike Watt's obsession with Madonna would ever actually be acted on in the form of covers? Ok first answer would be Burnin' Up from Watt with the Blag Flag guitarist and Into the Groovy from Thurston with a Madonna sample.

Secondly what the hell would happen if Sonic Youth wanted to make a completely crazy experimental album with dance elements? Answer, it would probably be not very well received so in the late 80's Ciccone Youth was spawned, Ciccone being Madonna's real surname.

Added to that a karoke version of Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love from Kim and you are already onto a winner!

This is probably the most insane album I own and I love it. Whether it be the pointless minute of silence, dance version of a Confusion is Sex song, Thurston Moore ghetto rapping or Kim and a friend listening to Krautrock band Neu this album has it all for an ardent Sonic Youth fan. NB. The Whitey Album title refers to Sonic Youth's threat to record a whole album of Beatles covers.

Key Songs- Macbeth, Into the Groovey, Addicted to Love
"In this Catholic Club they never had the ****ing TV on and I was going, 'That Big Brother, it won't catch on. British people won't watch that ****.' And then they went, at nine o' clock, 'Shh!' and turned the telly on! It was, like, people asleep in bed. To me, I can't understand that. The encouraging thing is, 'You were right all along, Smith: people are stupid." - Mark E Smith
coffeeshop is offline   Reply With Quote