Music Banter - View Single Post - The Coffeeshop 100
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
coffeeshop
From beyond the grave

93. The Libertines- Up the Bracket- 2002

Some people called them the most important band of this generation and others said they were overrated junkie tabloid scum. The answer is probably a mixture of both. Clash, Beatles, Stones and Stooges for the modern age I would describe this record therefore it very understandable why they became famous so fast. The Americans had the ultra successful Strokes and record labels were hot on the heels of any similar bands so finding the Libertines was probably like finding the gold at the end of the rainbow for them.

The relationship between Doherty and Barat is what makes the Libertines. Listening to the lyrics it is hard to pass any time without hearing references, although more so on their nearly as good burning out follow up. Ok Doherty is the worst rock star symbol we have seen for a very long time and he has pissed around since predictably releasing lower quality material and trying to stay alive/out of jail/with Kate Moss. Barat has made the middle of the road Dirty Pretty Things borrowing the Libertines sound and drummer. But I think most people who liked them think they were only truly something together and whether it'll ever happen again who knows.

Key Songs: Time For Heroes, Death On the Stairs (If Your Copy has it), Up the Bracket
"In this Catholic Club they never had the ****ing TV on and I was going, 'That Big Brother, it won't catch on. British people won't watch that ****.' And then they went, at nine o' clock, 'Shh!' and turned the telly on! It was, like, people asleep in bed. To me, I can't understand that. The encouraging thing is, 'You were right all along, Smith: people are stupid." - Mark E Smith

Last edited by coffeeshop; 08-20-2007 at 07:48 AM.
coffeeshop is offline   Reply With Quote