Music Banter - View Single Post - Rilo Kiley "Under the Blacklight"
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Yeah honestly, this wasn't even a disappointment, this was a "Who the **** is this?" the only songs that don't remarkably blow are "moneymaker" and "smoke detector" but this is a problem that is:
1. Rare
2. Something we can blame the Beatles for
3. And misguidedly arrogant.

I wouldn't say this happens to a lot of bands. More often than not they just put out mediocre boredom, or mail it in but the last occurrence I can remember of something like this happening was Jewels 0304. And while they never come out and say it I have to imagine there idiot reasoning goes something like this:

"well if we like the music, why shouldn't we make it?" to which i might respond that no one is faulting you for making it, but releasing it as an album is punishable by death. Bands occasionally forget that when you have a band name people are expecting a sound, or at least an ethos, and when you do something like we've seen here it comes off as, well for one thing its a rip off but secondly I think people see it as a "we can do no wrong mentality."

"you mena you put this **** out as Rilo Kiley and expected us to buy it? **** you"

And I mention the Beatles because as one writer once put it "there the reason your favorite band always wants to change its sound" and its true, but even the Beatles had the good sense to release it under a different name, even if that didn't come to fruition.

Edit: By the way, you review was great. I can't wait to see how greatly this fails. Im sure the sons of those who fetish'ed the B side of Tattoo You will rear there ugly head but otherwise I think this will lead to a revolt and a movement toward the elected.