Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock & Roll Timeline Part One 1950-1959
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Rock & Roll Timeline Part One 1950-1959

As part of my Rock & Roll History Project I am currently constructing a Rock & Roll timeline from 1950 on.

I want to include between 1-6 tracks from each year that reflect the various trends and evolution in rock and roll sound.

So for this thread I thought I'd see if we can create our own for the MusicBanter site loosely following my template.

ROCK & ROLL TIMELINE

The Fat Man, Fats Domino: The arrival of the rock and roll sound. YouTube - Fats Domino - The Fat Man (Live)

Rocket 88, Jackie Brenston: Often considered the first rock and roll song ever played on the air thanks to Sam Phillips. YouTube - Jackie Brenston & The Delta Cats - singin' - "Rocket 88"

Lawdy Miss Clawdy, Lloyd Price:
The beginning of the melding of New Orleans Jazz and Rhythm & Blues into "Rock & Roll". Featuring Fats Domino on Piano.

Mess Around, Ray Charles: The most innovative artist of his and maybe any other era arrives on the scene brining Rock influence.

Rock Around the Clock, Bill Haley & His Comets: First Rock Song used in a Movie
That’s Alright, Elvis Presley: Rock & Roll is on the verge of mainstream pandemonium as Elvis releases first first single bringing a stunning sound and look to the blues.

I’m a Man, Bo Diddley: The originator unveils "Bo Diddley" with this memorable B-side bringing what become to most resonant sound to Rock & Roll in the first half of the 1950's.
Maybellene, Chuck Berry: Another Rock & Roll pioneer's debut and a major push towards the fast approaching sounds of the 60's.
Tutti-Frutti, Little Richard: Funk is born. Enigmatic with unparalleled energy.

Hound Dog, Elvis Presley: "The King" finds his sound and Rock & Roll is America's newest fad.
I Walk the Line, Johnny Cash: Country music's influence in rock and roll often can be traced back to the man who some say invented the Rock Star
Blueberry Hill, Fats Domino: Perhaps his most significant work and undoubtedly a precursor to Motown.

That’ll be the Day, Buddy Holly & The Crickets: Stirring version of the song often considered one of Rock's most significant. Buddy Hollys impact was huge despite it's short tenure. YouTube - Buddy Holly - That ll Be the Day
Everyday, Buddy Holly: Another side of Buddy Holly's immense talents. YouTube - Buddy Holly - Everyday - music only
Whole Lot of Shakin’ Going On, Jerry Lee Lewis: Rockabilly's biggest contributor of the 1960's.

Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry: The Quintessential 1950's Rock Song. YouTube - Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode
Lonely Teardrops, Jackie Wilson: Another dimension of Rock; The Doo-wopey sound became a theme in the late 50's and early 60's. YouTube - Jackie Wilson - Lonely Teardrops

What’d I Say, Ray Charles: His Breakout Hit and one of the true masterpieces in music history. YouTube - Ray Charles . What'di Say
Shout,The Isley Brothers: Boldly announced the arrival of the 1960's and Rock's evolving sound. A response to Lonely Teardrops and it's innovative style. YouTube - Shout! - The Isley Brothers

Last edited by Son of JayJamJah; 08-23-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote