Music Banter - View Single Post - Rilo Kiley "Under the Blacklight"
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Feist is icky, and this album is terrible. It holds a watered down and overproduced sound that even Hilary Duff could admire. Lyrically its disgrace I find it hard to believe the same woman who wrote "But it's a jungle when war is made / and you'll panic and throw your own shit at the enemy / The camera pulls back to reveal your true identity / Look, it's a sheep in wolf's clothing / A smoking gun holding ape." Could write such crap like "I was your silver lining high up on my toes / while you were running through fields of hitchhikers, / as the story goes / hooray, hooray, i'm your silver lining / hooray, hooray, but now i'm gold." Musically its okay, but the entire album stays too rooted in bland overproduced pop to be very interesting, and it goes all over the place but not with enough subtly to avoid sounding like a poorly assembled mixed tape made by a preteen who thinks High School Music is the greatest soundtrack ever.
Can pop music really ever be "overproduced"? I understand that they may have changed their sound and spruced up their production when transferring to a major label (thus getting access to better producers and equipment), but to discard the album completely because of it...well, lemme just say that you sound a little like a sulking child.

Per usual, I don't really give a shit about the lyrics, but I'm betting you chose the most superficial song on the album. Are we saying she's never written anything of the sort before? Because I find that hard to believe....this is not the Arcade Fire. This...is...pop. Plus,
Quote:
"The saving grace for something so shallow is, as usual, Jenny Lewis, a strikingly direct singer and an even better lyricist."
...Pitchfork disagrees.:-/

There's one thing you have gotten right, there is not concept they stuck to, no clear guide line or theme so it does sound a little like a mix tape. The songs, however, are good enough on their own not to make this a major issue.

I give it a solid 4/5...it will definitely rank at the top of my 2007 list.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote