Music Banter - View Single Post - How many genres?
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 04:14 AM   #64 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I feel like the only one who sees genre as a complete necessity, if they weren't there checking out music would be alot harder. I mean how would you describe something? Its easy to say "Oh this is folk with hints of electronic" and describes the sound well, if there weren't genres you'd be all. "Well its that acoustic stuff like Bob Dylan, but its more mellow like Paul Simon and its got slight hints of that computery stuff like Daft Punk but more similar to Radiohead" blah blah, see how long winded it makes it? And describing certain artists would be impossible.

Genres make it easy to check something out because it gives you an idea of what it sounds like beforehand, so you know if its worth checking it out or not. For instance, I don't like metal so if someone tells me to check out this death metal band I won't check it out because I don't like metal. Genres = win.
I see them as a complete necesssity as well, but if I don't like a genre I'll still check out a band from it. Chances are that there are bands you would like in genres you dislike.