Music Banter - View Single Post - The Coffeeshop 100
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 07:41 AM   #26 (permalink)
coffeeshop
From beyond the grave

Let's get this back on track before I go to London.

82. Blue Öyster Cult- Secret Treaties- 1974

Everybody has heard the song (Don't Fear) The Reaper, it is probably one of the most recognisable songs in the history of music and is regarded as a classic from the 70's and quite rightly so. However, the actual album it is on, Agents of Fortune, is not really along the same lines of that song at all and while other people may like it I personally for the most part do not.

Rewind 2 years back to 1974 and their true classic is staring you right in the face. Secret Treaties is a hard rock masterpiece in the true sense of the form. Everything which makes the band great is on display here. The opener 'Career of Evil' for example gives you a sure idea of what is to come, clever rock hooks and riffs at super speed with added showmanship. You can definitely see why they have been called the thinking man's band of the genre, their lyrics for a start are worth mentioning for their mysteriousness and story telling. However, also they add the little things to songs most bands around the time would not even think of doing for instance the weirdness of some kind of child's toy at the end of 'Harvester Of Eyes'.

And after all that the last two songs on the album are probably the most famous and greatest. 'Flaming Telepaths' is a bruising rock single which again shows what they are capable of. But the closer 'Astronomy' goes far beyond anything else on the album, an epic 6 and a half minute rock ballad is up there with any other from the 70's whether it be 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Wish You Were Here'.

Key Songs: Career of Evil, Flaming Telepaths, Astronomy
"In this Catholic Club they never had the ****ing TV on and I was going, 'That Big Brother, it won't catch on. British people won't watch that ****.' And then they went, at nine o' clock, 'Shh!' and turned the telly on! It was, like, people asleep in bed. To me, I can't understand that. The encouraging thing is, 'You were right all along, Smith: people are stupid." - Mark E Smith
coffeeshop is offline   Reply With Quote