Music Banter - View Single Post - punk-folk
Thread: punk-folk
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Advent
Groupie

There's a lot of good folk-punk stuff out there, but I think far too often do people miss the real gems in this subgenre. Sure, everybody's gotten wind of the "Against Me!" craze at one time or another, but I think they really lost a lot of their flair with the past couple of releases. Of course they were listenable, but lacking the same structures and techniques that made them so fresh sounding to begin with.

On the subject of new 'folk punk' bands worth checking out, everybody at some time or another absolutely needs to hear/check out/see the The Gaslight Anthem. They put on amazing shows, play amazing music, and are just amazing in general. Well, I might be a bit biased there being currently a little, erm, 'obsessed' with this band in a way, but that doesn't take away from their amazing style. I'm surprised they get brought up so seldom in these discussions.

For those more acoustically-inclined, there's always bands like Rumbleseat, Chuck Ragan's solo stuff, Lucero, etc.

Oh, and there was another amazing new acoustic band I came upon a good while ago, The Ramblin' Boys of Pleasure that I really enjoyed. I suggest it (And could possibly provide it?)