Music Banter - View Single Post - Circle Takes the Square
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 PM   #106 (permalink)
xcassiusx
Music Addict

C.T.T.S. just doesnt seem overly pretenious and obnoxious, they smell of being overly pretenious and obnoxious in their music. I think it's pretty clear they seem to try for more intellectual aspects rather than intimate and emotional aspects.

Just because CTTS might have more epic constructed songs and intellectual poetic thoughts throughout their music doesnt make me like them more than Portrait.

Portrait IS really heart-felt and I cite them as one of the major influences for modern screamo. Plus Portrait can have some epic awesome beautiful build ups as well (listen to "north ebony" SERIOUSLY AWESOMENESS)
Best songs: (in no particular order)
"summer solstice"
"north ebony"
"missing the shore"
"constellations of a stargazing iris"

All beautiful well done songs with special parts in them. Summer Solstice could be possibly my favorite song by them, their 1:30 intro build up with the soft singing is just completely amazing, everything about it. North Ebony's 2:30 build up is genius and is very refreshing, which eventually leads us to Portrait's ability to pull off extremely intense moments while still mixing in beauty and emotion. The violent viola and the shreding guitar riffs with the double-kick bass drums stomping away. Missing The Shore is packed full of awesome lyric-lines and great music moments that is spine-tingling for myself. Continiously shouting aloud "love is not for me!" (2:17) This is another song you really gotta pay attention to, their guitarists can get overlooked due to their recording qualities but besides their passionate soft parts, they pull off some great heavy/shredding riffs. I'm really a sucker for a song at the last minute (3:20) And of course, Constellations Of A Stargazing Iris has to be one of thee earliest songs ever recorded with the signature emo/screamo parts where at the soft part/breakdown, the band goes crazy with just bursts of heartfelt screams (which seems more like a tradition with bands so often these past years, no wonder they're called such an influence for modern screamo)
xcassiusx is offline   Reply With Quote