Music Banter - View Single Post - The Coffeeshop 100
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
coffeeshop
From beyond the grave

After a little break I'm back. I've just realised how hard this task is going to be!

81. Depeche Mode- Violator- 1990

Depeche Mode's worldwide phenomenon. After being a popular synth pop band fitting in with the 80's era, the 90s were approaching and Depeche Mode had to deliver something more. What they delivered was Violator a dark, murky album with some classic songs which have outlasted everything else similar from the time period.

I can understand why many people would dislike them. David Gahan's vocals for one could easily be a factor or his personal life for another matter. It is not really cool to say you like Depeche Mode but I think there are lots of people who secretly do.

Catchy lyrics and synth beats and that is all Violator really is. But just done very well. 'World In My Eyes' is a tremendous opener, 'Personal Jesus' is a classic single although I personally have never really cared for it, 'Enjoy the Silence' is the song on the album which really took them to another level though. The rest of the album upto the haunting closer 'Clean' really is top material, no wonder it gained them so many more fans.

Key Songs: World in My Eyes, Enjoy the Silence, Policy of Truth
"In this Catholic Club they never had the ****ing TV on and I was going, 'That Big Brother, it won't catch on. British people won't watch that ****.' And then they went, at nine o' clock, 'Shh!' and turned the telly on! It was, like, people asleep in bed. To me, I can't understand that. The encouraging thing is, 'You were right all along, Smith: people are stupid." - Mark E Smith
coffeeshop is offline   Reply With Quote