Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beach Boys
Thread: The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #63 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
When I seen Proggys comment, I thought poor Crowquill is gonna flip out and sure enough, Insanely long (but essential) response to a one sentence post. I'll read it later I promise, too tired tonight.

Pet Sounds is actually better then anything Nirvana ever did although it's also vastly superior to anything else the Beach Boys ever did, although "Smiley Smile" is another personal favorite.
I wouldn't say Pet Sounds is vastly superior. If you consider Smile (Brian Wilson) part of the Beach Boys discography i'd say that comes close to Pet Sounds, if not ties it and while not many people ever discuss it, Love You is a fantastic album. Its usually only hailed as their weirdest (and for good reason) but the arrangements rival Pet Sounds, just in a different way. They're certainly strange arrangements, with all the organs and synths and off the wall lyrics but they're beautiful nonetheless.

Not to mention its extremely consistent, as is Pet Sounds but while I love everything by the Beach Boys i've heard they can put out some weak songs this album isn't like that all. Brains voice while fucked up by drugs, worked well surprisingly and I don't think in his old days he could've pulled Love You off. I also think Love You is just as significant in the fact its the greatest album they did in the 70s.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote