Music Banter - View Single Post - 101 Albums I Love
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 01:57 AM   #51 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Rage Against The Machine - Renegades (2000)
An album entirely comprised of covers would typically be left far of any best of list I compile but this is a certain exception. The immensely distinctive style Rage Against the Machine Brings to the creations of their musical idols and influences sets this album apart. From the get go with the influential “Microphone Fiend” (Original by Eric B and Rakim) with Zack’s distinctive painstaking vocals and Tom Morellos dynamic guitar interpretations driving it into your ear. The MC5’s “Kick out the Jams” is the next highlight as Rage brings it a whole new level of energy. “Renegades of Funk” is the fourth and probably best track on the album. De La Rocha deliverers such an emotional performance lyrically it’s impossible to escape. EPMD’s “I’m Housin” features Tim’s strongest isolated bass effort providing the basis of the songs groove. The playful interpretation of Cypress Hill’s “I could just kill a Man” is even better on the live version that finishes album. The helicopter that opens “The Ghost of Tom Joad” and it’s distortion fueled guitar lead ins are so good they almost make you forget it’s a Bruce Springsteen song they are covering. The Stones “Street Fighting Man” is one of the few disappointments from the album and is still a listenable track. In the tradition of Jimi Hendrix, Rage covers a Bob Dylan song and makes it a thousand times better. “Maggie’s Farm” was a wonderful protest song in Dylan’s hands, but Rage brings it to life with considerable liveliness. This is sadly the final offering we have from Rage Against the Machine to date, the unique dynamics of the band and their sound make them a favorite of mine. This will not be the last time they are heard from on this list.
Musical Content: *****
Artistic Content: ***
Impact: ****

Favorite Song: Maggie’s Farm

Pearl Jam - Ten (1991)
The debut effort for the band that once considered the name Mookie Blaylock but settled on Pearl Jam. Chalked full of memorable hits like “Alive” with it’s pulsating hook and electric closing solo, the inexorable “Even Flow” which continues to invade rock radio and “Jeremy” the cryptic re-telling of a high school suicide tragedy which helped create the template for rock singers for the next ten years. Eddie Vedder’s grating moans and commanding shouts became the signature of the bands Seattle grunge sound. “Black” is a methodical expressive ode that demonstrates the young bands ability to mellow their aggressive sound when needed. It’s the most critical track on the album and elevates it to top 100 status in my world. There are some lame ducks on this album but just a few opening track “Once” awakens the sound that is Pearl Jam and pushes the album forward very effectively, while it’s counterpart finale track “Release” gives summation to the album as a whole building over the course of nearly ten minutes from a rhythmic bellowing ode into an electronic salutations of the arrival of what would become the most significant lasting band of the movement. Also recorded during the “Ten” sessions but left of the album is “Yellow Ledbetter” a much underrated and often overlooked song with great pacing and a catchy balance. An easy choice for me over Vitalogy as the Pearl Jam representative in the group.
Musical Content: ****
Artistic Content: ****
Impact: ****

Favorite Song: Black

Metallica – Master of Puppets (1986)
There is nothing subtle about this at all. With a continuous theme of our inability to control our own paths resonating throughout this surprisingly benevolent compilation, the third effort by the band stands as there greatest work Metallica was the heaviest band I’d ever heard and enjoyed. I was captivated by the power of their music and their innovative thrash metal sound. Opening track “Battery” delicately places you in the troughs of their musical destruction and then shakes your core. It’s followed by title track “Master of Puppets” and its remarkable opening and hook riff. Bass player Cliff Burton had a significant role in writing this song and credits it as his favorite Metallica track. “The Thing That Should Not Be” is filled with dark imagery and more heavy guitar riffs. The shadowy “Welcome Home” hovers as a cloud of revolution in the midst of the album emoting riffs and increasingly ominous lyrics give the song an even more dark edge then the rest of the album. The easy on melodic battlefield of “Disposable Heroes” provides excellent speed guitar work by both Hetfield and Hammett throughout as its lyrics detail the chaos of war from the participant’s perspective. Burton’s instrumental composition “Orion” is a highlight of the album for me, a mix of Metallica’s signature style riffs and bass and drum driven transitions. The final cut from the album is “Damage Inc.” begins with an echoing bass guitar intro and explodes intro a criticism of the conformity within the music scene at the time. Consistently reviewed as on of the best and most significant metal albums of all-time it’d be a shame not to give it a listen.
Musical Content: ****
Artistic Content: ****
Impact: *****

Favorite Song: Welcome Home
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote