Music Banter - View Single Post - Careers in writing
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Dave
Me and The Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
@ Dave

Don't become a journalism major
Stick with engineering only if you enjoy the classes you're taking otherwise you won't learn anything, you'll just retain knowledge until you can afford to forget it.

If at some point you decide you really want to be a writer, like I said volunteer your time or take a bottom of the food chain job ASAP and start working your way up. It will happen so much faster then you can imagine if you are really passionate about it.

I always told all my students, the second you stop enjoy being in my class get out! You're wasting mine and your time and a lot of your money.

Another piece of advice, make a hobby of applying for grants, 0 interest student loans etc etc. My nephew went to college at the University of Michigan for 5 years and owed less then 10,000 when it was all said and done. It can become a 10-15 hour a week job hunting for finical aid but it's out there. Again without knowing you it's tough to tell you which direction to go, but I can always offer an opinion and would be glad to help in whatever capacity.
That's the thing, I'm not enjoying the engineering classes which is why I'm having this shift in mind towards writing. So like, I don't want to do Engineering and I want to do writing, and I want something more than just a bachelors in "general studies." But yeah, I really need to do that financial aid thing, I keep meaning to and like the idiot that I am, never actually get around to doing it.

I understand that this is hard for you to help me but I'm really, and truly, appreciative of it.
The Dave is offline   Reply With Quote