Music Banter - View Single Post - 101 Albums I Love
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 01:10 AM   #62 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Albums 57 & 58

Crosby Stills Nash & Young – Four Way Street (1971)
The 1971 “Four Way Street” is a double album packed with memorable live performances spanning the past years for the group collectively and in their solo or side projects. Four of the era’s most prolific and dynamic songwriters combine and bring a symphony of sound from varying prospectives with a consistent country folk rock sound carrying the music. Opening with the immortal “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes”, which first appears two years prior on the CSN debut album, the tone is set from the start. A Stephen Stills title about his former girlfriend Judy Collins, which is hinted at within the title, it contains four separate movements combined into one “Suite” Each section has it’s own personality and trademark and together they form on the decades most successful and memorable songs. Another mainstream highlight from the album comes just a few tracks later with Graham Nash’s thoughtful “Teach your Children” a heartfelt and cautionary tale relating his thoughts on raising children. With a soft country undertone and the trademark CSNY harmonizing vocals it’s another song that’s tough not to like. The next two tracks are David Crosby numbers my favorite of which is “The Lee Shore” a somber acoustic\vocal track with an eerie ease throughout the verses. “Chicago” is a wonderfully written powerful track addressing the affairs and trial of the Chicago Eight and the riots outside the Democratic Convention within the city. The lyrics are a plea to Graham Nash’s band mates to join him in Chicago for the protest. It features one of the best intros of all time. Neil Young’s “Cowgirl in the Sand” featured on the second side of the albums first disc is an excellent live performance with gritty acoustic fills and dark rhythms allowing hope to surface just enough, it’s another treat to hear live. “49 bye byes” has about as much of a late sixties\early seventies feel as is possible, it’s a smooth charming little ditty. The first side closes with the outstanding “Love the one you’re with” courtesy of Stephen Stills. The steady strumming rhythm of Stills version (The original) has been often imitated but never duplicated. It’s punchy up-tempo rhythm and tender message are an entrancing combination. Graham Nash’s “Pre Road Downs” with its country stomp intro and electric pulse is an energetic opening to the second disc in the album. It only gets better from there as David Crosby’s piercing “Long Time Gone” with electric fills and forceful lyrical delivery lends itself to the socially conscious nature of the quartet. Neil Young’s critical “Southern Man” is another example of this and was even able to create a rift between himself and Southern rock musicians most notably Lynyrd Skynyrd who address Neil Young in pithy fashion during Sweet Home Alabama. Neil Young’s commentary extends to the campus of Kent State with the renowned “Ohio” with one of the most tangible and apropos riffs imaginable. Heavily critical authority and the actions of the soldiers that resulted in “four dead in Ohio” it was a very controversial track upon its release. The slightly more light hearted and optimistic “Carry On” written by Stephen Stills, the quiet star of the album, it encompasses all the elements of CSNY into a wonderful penultimate track for the double album. Concluding the performance is “Find the cost of Freedom” a simple straight to the point composition featuring an instrumental intro comprising the first half of the songs and echoing harmonizing vocals that conclude acapella style bringing an end to the concert and the audience to their feet. A great place to start for potential CSNY fans.
Musical Content: *****
Artistic Content: ***
Impact: *****

Favorite Song: Suite: Judy Blue Eyes

311 - Evolver (2003)
For whatever reason this album was met with very poor reviews from critics, in fact it is one of 311’s worst reviewed albums. Still I would argue it is there most “evolved” and consistent album ever. It’s a mature more focused effort with a clear purpose and excellent execution. Beginning with “Creatures (For a while)” which achieved moderate success as a radio single, and is a well placed track with good energy throughout and it sets the tone nicely for the rest of the album including the subsequent “Reconsider Everything” a very traditional 311 styled ska fueled electric ode which knows it’s place. “Crack the Code” was the first track from this album to really reel me in; from top to bottom it is a beautifully constructed rhythmic romp. Highlighted by a careful progressive loop built around the catchy chorus. Next on the docket is “Same mistake twice”. The strength of this track are the well phrased and carefully placed verses. The melodic transient “Beyond the Grey Sky” is the most tranquil track the listener experiences and the most personal track for the band in particular lead vocalist and songwriter Nick Hexum. With its smooth melancholy and steady pacing gently leading into the harmonious chorus it is a particularly unique track in the 311 library. There is a track like “It seems uncertain” on every 311 album and they are always enjoyable this one with its standout instrumental quality in particular. Understated rhythms unique to each section give the song even more grace then even it’s natural beauty posses. And while ambiguity is far from a stance it is a particularly conscious track for the band. “Still Dreaming” is next and another almost from outer space like sound. A bit choppy but not lacking the charm inherent to 311 music. “Give me a Call” is a catchy little spasm of a song with a bubbly energy and natural appeal unfailing throughout the album. Smooth moving and again very well placed amongst the context of the album. “Don’t Dwell” is another bouncy energetic track with a very sticky bridge that is impossible not to move your head and feet to. The most fun and free spirited song on the album; among my favorites on this and any 311 album. “Other side of Things” is one of the heaviest efforts on the album and another solid track with a solid circular poppy chorus. Several layers that quickly unfold give it great energy. The closing track “Sometimes Jacks Rule the Realm” is a stunning endeavor that surprised me almost as much as I enjoy it. Intricate while raw featuring stand out performances by all members on all levels, each layer of the song is added and subtracted at exactly the right time while it’s tranquil steady vibe carries away the burdens of your day. Might be the best 311 song I’ve yet to hear. An album without a bad track and very few if any that you would classify as filler, a more thoughtful mature and musical conquest and a permanent favorite of mine.
Musical Content: *****
Artistic Content: ****
Impact: ****

Favorite Song: Sometimes Jacks Rule the Realm

There would be one more album but it exceeded the character limit. To be Continued...

Last edited by Son of JayJamJah; 10-08-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote