Music Banter - View Single Post - 101 Albums I Love
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 AM   #63 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Albums 55 & 56

Ben Folds Five – Whatever and ever Amen (1997)
The second and most notable effort for the three member Ben Folds Five is a celebration of music and its power. Essentially a 45 minute jam session interrupted by at times brilliant song writing from a then still blossoming Ben Folds. The vigorous “One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces” is one of several sardonic songs of rebellion or youthful angst. “Fair” which follows it is a carefully written delicate almost there type song. Lite and bouncy with a sort of casual flare that has an ordinary but delightful attraction. “Brick” is the third track and a song anyone over the age of 20 likely knows and knows fairly well. A huge radio hit fueled by a repetitive piano riff of chord arpeggios. The songs subject matter deals with an unfortunate trip to an abortion clinic and sets an appropriately very morose but captivating mood. If you’ve heard it a million times you probably still like it, if you’ve not heard it, do so. “Song for the Dumped” is just that, a very honest and direct excavation of emotion. Folds’ eloquently demonstrates how to effectively use profanity at the initial climax and in subsequent instances. It also features a nice instrumental piano lead interlude and guitar solo on the back end. A few tracks later “Kate” which experienced more success in the UK and Europe then in the states; with it’s a bar room style piano, distorted electric melody and peculiar lyrics is a strong and enjoyable jaunt. “Smoke” is a breathless European styled pseudo-love song and perhaps a guilty pleasure of mine. The most free spirited all out jam on the album is “Steven’s Last Night in Town” it is the standout performance for drummer Darren Jessee, and features a nice horn section and that’s just hard for me to resist. There is a clear Big band soul within the song and the drumming brings it to the forefront. The second single from the album was “The Battle of Who could Care Less” which is a fairly generic song but played by excellent musicians as it is in this case it is a solid listen. The deliberate “Missing the War” moves at a suave pace as the silver tongued Folds’ narrates the events of the song. One of many tracks with excellent back up vocals and another example of the Bands musical agility; pure relaxation. The closing “Evaporated” has that last dance kind of pacing and sound to it and leaves an indelible mark on the listener persuading you to start the album all over again. Not sure why but this song has always been particular favorite of mine and one I can barely listen to in affecting moments. Just a pure expression of emotion with incredible care placed into each measure. A fitting end to an album that is among my favorite of the decade only possible when done by the kind of trio that calls them self a five.
Musical Content: ****
Artistic Content: ****
Impact: *****

Favorite Song: Evaporated

Ben Harper - Lifeline (2007)
101 Style Review coming soon
Musical Content: *****
Artistic Content: ****
Impact: ****

Favorite Song: Heart of the Matters

In the mean time...

http://www.musicbanter.com/album-rev...-lifeline.html

Last edited by Son of JayJamJah; 10-08-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote