Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm New to music...
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 05:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
littleknowitall
Pow!

I wouldn't suggest learning all the theory and finger exercises yet, even if they're more benificial they're rather boring and tend to discourage people starting out, just learn a couple of your favourite songs if capable, get to know the basics, for gods sake start off without a pick, picks should only be used or certain songs. harden your fingers up a bit and to be honest....i wouldn't bother with lessons, with internet forums and free youtube celebrity lessons, i don't see the point in paying these days, which kind of puts me in a rut for work but still...
eventually when your comfortable enough with your playing to play something along the lines of lets say er....can't stop by the red hot chili peppers, then i'd suggest working on strengthening your speed and acuracy, Bill ****ens has this wonderfull method of practicing usin the buddah rope, i'd look up his lessons on youtube eventually for practicing finger techniques, learn theory in snippets, learn the string and note names, as you progress learn new techniques, major minor scales, and probably best actually sit down and learn the modes in as short of space of time as you can, although it can take some extreme determination. Which is why i never bothered learning them.
littleknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote