Music Banter - View Single Post - Is it even possible not to follow the trend?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kevorkian Logic
Imperfectly Perfect

Default Is it even possible not to follow the trend?

I recently read this in the one music magazine that I find worth getting a subscription to. I thought I would share:

"All of us do something that's part of a trend, some of us more so than others. Most of us do nothing unless it's been pre-approved by a gazillion other cookie-cutter scenesters. This continues to be the case as ideas are born and worn into the ground by drones too boring to have the ideas in the first place, thus setting individuality at an all-time-low. There are no true outsiders. What you are doing, creatively, is part of a big dumb movement, so don't get all high and mighty about what you incorrectly perceive to be original. There exists no more fertile ground for lemmings than the music industry."

^there's a whole article full of examples in the music industry that supports this statement. But i'm not up to typing the whole thing out.

Do you agree with what this guy asserts? Or is it a bunch of crap?

I think he has a good point to an certain extent, but there is room still of individuality.

But I know what I think, what do you think?