Music Banter - View Single Post - From Neil Diamond to The Fall ... And Beyond. The Urban Hatemonger Music Journey
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Default From Neil Diamond to The Fall ... And Beyond. The Urban Hatemonger Music Journey

Now that the pretentious title is out of the way I can get on with it.
This is a look at my lifelong journey with music all throughout my life with many stories & pointless asides and a bunch of albums in some cases i'm quite happy to see the back of. Rather than me upload everything listed if anybody wants any of the albums mentioned just shout & i'll do my best to provide a link or upload it myself if needs be (unless it's Neil Diamond or DR Hook , in which case you can f*ck off) , It might take a bit of time to get to some of the more interesting stuff , but you never know.
Anyway lets start this thing right from the start..........

Neil Diamond

Apparently when I was a toddler my favourite song in the entire world was Neil Diamond's Beautiful Noise and everytime it was played i'd start dancing around in my nappy, or so my Dad tells me . Although I think there's an irony in the title as to what would happen to my musical tastes in the future i'm calling bullsh*t on this one as I can't ever remember there being a single Neil Diamond record in the house.

Dr Hook

OK I can't lie about this one , yeah I did used to love this band when i was a small kid. Although I think it was more to do with the lead singer (or one of them anyway) wearing an eyepatch and looking like a pirate that appealed to me than any of their music. Although I have to admit even today that 'When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman' is a great song , even though it breaks every rule in my anti 70s soft rock stance on music. Again I don't think we had any of their records at home , but then lets face it would you buy a child of 3 or 4 years of age an album entitled 'Sloppy Seconds?' However I do remember getting excited when my mum would shout that they were on the radio.

Soft Cell - Non Stop Ecstatic Dancing

Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love was the first song I ever remember liking that wasn't owned by my parents.So on my next birthday I excitedly opened my presents & found I was given this album , although technically it's not an album , it's a collection of three 12 inch singles. I think I played it solidly for a few years before getting hopelessly bored of it & recording Iron Maiden's first appearance at Donnington over it when it was broadcast on the radio & I had run out of blank cassettes. Skip forward to 2002 and I find the first Soft Cell album proper (Non Stop Erotic Cabaret) with all these songs on plus loads of others on sale for a quid , so I picked it up & still liked listening to them even to this day.
And lets face it , it is kind of funny that the first song I ever liked is something right-track considers to be one of the worst crimes against music

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote