Music Banter - View Single Post - From Neil Diamond to The Fall ... And Beyond. The Urban Hatemonger Music Journey
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Adam & The Ants

Adam & The Ants were my first ever favourite band. I can't remember which song introduced me to them. All I remember was seeing him perform on TV & being really excited by it , and then pestering my mother to get me some Adam Ant records for my next birthday. Sure enough by the time it rolled around I was given his Kings Of The Wild Frontier & Prince Charming albums.
These were played to death every morning before I went to school for ages afterwards.I remember reading the sleevenotes for Kings Of The Wild Frontier & seeing all these names I had never heard of , Patti Smith , Iggy & The Stoogers , The Velvet Underground , New York Dolls , Siouxsie Sioux , Lou Reed , David Bowie , Andy Warhol. I had no idea who all these people were (Apart from Bowie) but they sounded interesting.
I remember going to my mums work one day & chatting to this guy called Kevin she worked with. Kevin told me that there was another Adam & The Ants record I didn't have & that he would give it to my mum to copy for me. So a couple of days later my mother comes home with DIrk Wears White Sox & a few of his early singles. I ended up liking this album more than the others. I liked it that when I went to school and people talked about Adam & The Ants they had no idea about this record , my first taste of musical elitism ...HA!
Dirk Wears White Sox seemed to be more grown up than his other stuff , darker & more serious and there seemed to be this air of mystery about it that attracted me to it. Sadly just as I was getting into Adam & The Ants he decided to quit music to concentrate on acting ...oh well.

Traffic

The Move

A bit later on from this I received my first record player , second hand for something like £2. Didn't bother me how much it was or how crap the sound quality was, it meant I could play records in my room rather than have to listen to them in the living room & have to ask permission everytime I wanted to hear something. Before this my mother had decided to give me a broken record player as a toy and she'd make me all these records out of cardboard , I decided real records were much more fun so used those , that led to me pestering her to get me a real one.
One I got it I was allowed to be let loose on my parents record collection. As far as albums go they didn't have many but they did have a couple of hundred singles. Most of my dad's stuff was from the late 50s early 60s , stuff like Buddy Holly , The Shadows (Without Cliff Richard thankfully), PJ Proby , Joe Brown , Freddie & The Dreamers & Adam Faith. My mothers collection was much more towards the mid - late 60s with stuff like The Small Faces , The Beatles , The Move , Traffic and a couple of Rolling Stones singles (She saw them live with Brian Jones ... bitch). I used to love going into the cupboard pulling out a handful of records & just seeing what they sounded like. This was probably one of my favourite times in my life as I was just listening to new music without any bias & without knowing who these people were. But the only problem was none of it was my music , but that was about to change when something different was about to enter my life .... PUNK.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote