Music Banter - View Single Post - Ska Bands
Thread: Ska Bands
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
burnmonkey
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookers with machineguns
well none of these bands play traditional ska, it's alot easier when you use the punk/ska sound. only band I can think of that tries to play the traditional sound is Hepcat, and i dont even listen to them that much. I'm surprised no one mentioned the skatalites, that's like THE ska band. the only one for all i care. alot of this third wave stuff makes me sick sometimes. i dont mind the punk/ska-influenced sound, but i wouldnt call any of them 'ska.'
Yer right, Third Wave is really awful, the worst thing to happen to ska, and big props to Hepcat for keeping trad. ska alive. The Skatalites are still at it after all these years, and they're still AMAZING live. I really think that the style that's characteristic of NY ska scene/subgenre could hardly be considered easy even compare to trad jamaican ska. I feel the same about 2-tone to a lesser extent. They just arent so much my cup o' cake. I highly recommend checking out (if you havent already) The New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble. Its an all-star ensemble of musicians from The Toasters, The Scofflaws, and The Skatalites playing ska interpretations of great jazz standards & originals too. The 1st album features the 2 singers from Hepcat Cvering a Toots and the Maytals song.
burnmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote