Music Banter - View Single Post - I have a question. Please help me, music friends.
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dr. Casey
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellancholy View Post
Dr. Casey,

That was played for the Thelonious Monk Piano Competition at which Gerald placed second. His father is John Clayton, world reknowned jazz bassist., and good friend of mine. I call him my big brother in jazz!

You may be able to find the title of the song by going to the Thelonious Monk Institute website.

Here is a link to an article about the competition.

WWW DOT monkinstitute.com/2006PianoCompetitionJazzTimes DOT pdf

"(Gerald Clayton) mixed elements of Beethoven, John Lewis and stride with an engaging, overtly strong sense of swing."

Here is another link to a Washington Post article with a photo of Gerald at the piano AND the names of the two compositions that Gerald combined into one piece that I hope you are referring to.

WWW DOT monkinstitute.com/2006PianoCompetitionWashPost DOT pdf

"The clear audience favorite was a Dutch-born Californian, Gerald Clayton, who deftly combined the second movement of Beethoven's "Pathetique" Sonata with John Lewis's "Django."

You can reach me at jazzylover59 AT yahoo.com.

I am also a profile editor at All About Jazz. Here are my links.

This one has a photo of me.

WWW DOT allaboutjazz.com/php/contrib.php?id=10322

Kandie Le Britain Webster @ All About Jazz

This one is similar but has more information to link to.

WWW DOT allaboutjazz.com/php/profile.php?id=10322

Kandie Le Britain Webster @ All About Jazz

I would love to hear from you.

Kandie Webster in Washington State -- jazzylover59

PS. I registered for this site just to answer your question because I love to research and help people find answers, especially if it involves my very good friends in jazz.

Since this is only my first post, I cannot place the full url links. I have to make 15 posts. Oh Well. I am sure you will figure it all out.'
Here's what she has to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Ladette
Doc, that's exactly it. You thank her nicely for going to all that trouble for me. ^_^

I had a feeling that first part was by Beethoven.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote