Music Banter - View Single Post - Incentive to Buy
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
N*S*G
Account Disabled

Quote:
so the full length tracks are for the more in-depth music fans, cool... but dont you think that giving away segments might put them off?

10 minute tracks are 10 minutes for a reason.. they're full tracks, and cutting them up devalues the track. If a band i loved chopped up their tracks to give away for free (which some do) id get the impression that they didnt care so much about the artistic value of the entire track.
I would keep it so that the song retains the meaning/idea, but however the album version would push the good cut track to great. Think the radio versions of TMV songs vs their album versions... you get the concept, but it is not as wonderful as the uncut songs.

Basically they are just there to give people a taste of the real thing (kind of like what singles do). I want the cut versions to make you want to hear the long versions (you hear the cut one and go 'this is a nice song,' but then you hear the full version and go 'damn'). Think of it like keeping the volume down on certain parts of the song so you can turn it up just when it gets to your favorite piece.

Quote:
the whole journey of the album in one package is a good concept definately. I do like an eloborate package though, i would not be impressed if i got a CD-R in a carboard wallet for £10, even if there was alot of extra ****.
I have a lot of production programs, so basically the only thing that would cost me would be the packaging/recording (for album tracks).
N*S*G is offline   Reply With Quote