Music Banter - View Single Post - Election 2004
Thread: Election 2004
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2004, 03:16 PM   #74 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAlejo
Okay, I'll sum up this whole thread.
1. If you are not from the US, while your opinions may be great and all, they truly don't matter. You can't vote and hold no political dealings on what goes on. Most of your news is run by the government so you probably have a tainted viewing of what is going on.
2. Canada is a major trade with the US. Both could probably get away with not trading with the other, but the US would be better off if trade relations broke off. We have many resources in our own country which we have yet to use because we trade for them (i.e. oil in alaska) Many US countries do have factories in Canada and even Mexico...why you ask? Cheaper labor. If you guys are happy that are companies have factories in your country just because you work for less than congratulations.
I sort of agree with you in the first point. Canadians will not vote in the upcoming election, so our views do not really matter IN THAT AREA. but, a huge part of this thread has been about the war in iraq, which has affected the entire world, not just the US, so our views hold just as much wieght as yours in that respect. To take it further, this election will decide the candidate who will run against Bush in the presidential election, and electing a new president, or, (and I hope not), keeping the old one, will effect Canada as well, because a new president will bring about new ways of running the country, have different ways to deal with the situation in the Middle east, which will impact all of the world.

The US would not be better off if trade relations were severed. First of all, oil has nothing to do with trade relations in Canada as almost all the the oil imported to the US comes from the Middle East, namely Saudi Arabia. Secondly, its not only imports. The US exports a huge amount to Canada just as we export a huge amount of goods to the US. If those relations were severed, that would be an ENORMOUS portion of your revenue gone, which would COMPLETELY ruin the economy. The reason that trade relations are so benificial for BOTH countries is that they are neighboors. The cost of replacing the amount of trade with another country would be too great because of the transport costs. It would be a really bad move for any president to sever trade relations with Canada.
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote