Music Banter - View Single Post - Five Albums that changed Music for you
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP. - some people dislike eminem, thats their choice, but this is the first album to really kick me in the balls, its lyrical themes and generally obscene nature was so different to anything else i was listening to as a 9 year old (destinys child, west life), it had a huge impact on me, making me realise music could be deeper and more meaningful than just churning out hits for fame and fortune.

The Beatles - Revolver. - Ever since my dad played me this record as a kid ive always had a personal affinity with all things melancholic (cliche, yet true nonetheless), in this sense not only did it get me into the beatles and consequently 50% of my music taste, but its also had a huge influence on the way i live my life and see the world.

The VU - VU & Nico. - I remember the day, was with freinds in HMV, i had £5 to spend so went to the sales section. The album cover stood out for me and, intrigued, i bought it on impulse. I played it as soon as i got in, and after listening to it the whole way through once, i replayed it all again. The chaotic, frantic and at times discordant tone of the album released in me an emotion of absolute aggression and energy no album has achieved since, its THE album that opened me up to more experimental, underground music and for that i will always cherish it.

Massive Attack - Mezzanine - i bought this at a time when i had grown seriously bored of the music i was listening to. I'd heard of it from my older brothers freind and thought ' why not?'. Immediatley i was in absolute awe of the brooding, macabre bassline of angel, it took me to another place, and the rest of the album just transfixed me. I remember my mum knocking on my bedroom door and confessing her hatred for it, thats when i knew id found a gem. Completely opened me up to a whole new avenue of music, without this i would not like DJ shadow, DJ Krush, Unkle, RJD2, Autechre, Aphex Twin or DJ spooky, music which im hugely into these days.

Radiohead - Hail To The Thief. To many its not even radioheads finest piece, but to me it is i think my favourite album of all time. its the fifth 'head album i bought, i was fascinated with what it would sound like after hearing Kid A. To my absolute delight, i discovered an album that not only blended the most adventurous, experimental moments in radioheads catalogue with their most anthemic, radio-freindly material, its lyrics also affected me greatly, dealing with issues of alientation, deindividualization and an utter anxiety towards what the future holds (3 things that register high on a personal level), it made me think about the deeper meanings in music a lot more, consequently changing my approach to it forever.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote