Music Banter - View Single Post - The Strokes
Thread: The Strokes
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #65 (permalink)
Mookie Wilson
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Shame it's all bollocks though.

David Bowie , Syd Barrett , Morrissey , Pete Shelley , Ray Davis , Paul Weller , Robert Smith , Ian Curtis , Damon Albarn , Ian Brown , Billy Childish , Joe Strummer , Brett Anderson , Euros Child , Andy Partridge , Bob Calvert , Gruff Rhys , I could go on & on & on , not one of those vocalists do 'talking singing' and all have recognisable Brit accents.
yea the theory might not be great but hey i saw it on tv so i thought i'd mention it. as for all of those artists, i wouldn't dare say they 'talk' instead of sing, and i didnt say that ALL brits lose the accents, just many do. for instance, i have loads of family in britain many of who are trained singers and sing with anything BUT a british accent. the fact is, when many trained british vocalists sing, they sound american whether they try to or not. and many (the ones you mentioned, tho some might not be considered 'trained' vocalists but 'pop' singers) keep their accent. i can understand that if bowie writes a song that rhymes with his english accent he's obviously going to pronouce the words with the accent while he sings. besides, the argument isn't completely homogeneous, you will hear the beatles sounding very american sometimes and very british other times, the same is true for countless UK artists. it still bugs me when 'artists' like arctic monkeys or streets play up the accent to the max
Mookie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote