Music Banter - View Single Post - The Career Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #57 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdyoualways View Post
i assume you went to college for journalism?
well money is a main reason i dont wanna go
the other half is laziness & me not ever really knowing what it was i wanted to do
i might eventually go to like a community college or something, just not immediately after i graduate high school
yep, evetually i ended up in journalism, which is definitely the right choice for me. right out of high school i went into fine arts, all throughout high school all I could think of was that I wanted to go to art school. well, i got there and realized i hated it, and that it was completely the wrong decision. i managed to finish the year with a decent gpa and then took a year off to travel and figure out what i wanted to do with my life, since i was now back at square one. if you dont know, taking a year off can be REALLY helpful. just make sure you're not taking a year off to do nothing. find a job your interested in, concentrate on other interests that dont have to do with your education, and try as hard as you can to put yourself in new situations that your not entirely comfortable with, i think thats the best way to figure out what's important to you and what you want to do for your life. as for money, i'm extremely lucky in that my parents agreed to pay for my post secondary education, but when you do figure out what you want to do, look into student loans for sure, and search REALLY actively for scholarships. its amazing the amount of money you can get if you spend the time to look, i've probably gotten around five or six thousand dollars in scholarship money over the years, not because i'm an absolutely outstanding student, but I've spent hours searching for obscure scholarships and its paid off. as for the laziness, you'll find that that'll disapear once you find something you want to study, and are working towards a goal. the hardest thing to do is give hours of your time over to something you dont see paying off for you in the future.
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote