Music Banter - View Single Post - The Career Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #58 (permalink)
holdyoualways
Elevator to the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
yep, evetually i ended up in journalism, which is definitely the right choice for me. right out of high school i went into fine arts, all throughout high school all I could think of was that I wanted to go to art school. well, i got there and realized i hated it, and that it was completely the wrong decision. i managed to finish the year with a decent gpa and then took a year off to travel and figure out what i wanted to do with my life, since i was now back at square one. if you dont know, taking a year off can be REALLY helpful. just make sure you're not taking a year off to do nothing. find a job your interested in, concentrate on other interests that dont have to do with your education, and try as hard as you can to put yourself in new situations that your not entirely comfortable with, i think thats the best way to figure out what's important to you and what you want to do for your life. as for money, i'm extremely lucky in that my parents agreed to pay for my post secondary education, but when you do figure out what you want to do, look into student loans for sure, and search REALLY actively for scholarships. its amazing the amount of money you can get if you spend the time to look, i've probably gotten around five or six thousand dollars in scholarship money over the years, not because i'm an absolutely outstanding student, but I've spent hours searching for obscure scholarships and its paid off. as for the laziness, you'll find that that'll disapear once you find something you want to study, and are working towards a goal. the hardest thing to do is give hours of your time over to something you dont see paying off for you in the future.
im not sure my parents would be willing to pay for college, they dont even want my sister to go & she already knows what she wants to do & everything so i doubt theyre gonna be willing to pay for the kid thats not really sure what she wants to do
but im definetely gonna be doing some research on it
im doing my senipr project on the benefits & different oppurtuinites in music journalism or beign a music critic so maybe thatll help with finding out the specifics of everything & maybe make me decide something one way or the other
but i think i would like to take a year off before i go into college, just to make absolutely sure i know what id wanna do, get all my ducks in a row