Music Banter - View Single Post - Radiohead In Rainbows Discussion
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #149 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
The Bends is about 30% worth listening to and 70% not, it seems to be made up mostly of mediocre songs like Planet Telex, The Bends and Bones. I don't see why people praise it when its only got a few tracks deserving of praise, yeah it marked a change in Radiohead and hinted at what they would be but so what? They weren't there yet. I suppose amongst all the bad Manic Street Preachers albums and Beatles rip offs it was a breath of fresh air, but it still wasn't much different from other 90s act and even if it was, we're well past the mid-90s now.
STILL completely disagree with you, all 3 songs you cite as mediocre are in my opinion great, Planet Telex is such a strong opening track which is aggressive whilst mellifluent, its such a robust song. The bends is indie rock at its best with really powerful lyrics. Bones is a masterfully crafted pop song with a great quiet-loud dynamic. I dont there are any duff songs on it, each one is brilliant in its own way. It isnt groundbreaking or revolutionary in any way (which is probably why its only my fourth favourite), but for what it is, its the best in its field by a mile.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote