Music Banter - View Single Post - The Worst Trends Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #124 (permalink)
Mookie Wilson
Music Addict

great points jibber, i'm not gonna ellaborate much on what he said back to me because you did it quite nicely. i'm just gonna sum it up with this wayfarer: your point - There is no way of knowing who will be able take in all of those carcinogens and live to be ninety, nor is there any way of knowing who will live as "healthy" as they can and still end up with cancer - the only certainty is that everyone's going to die eventually" is perhaps the most rudimentary misnomer one can have when attempting to discuss health and diseases. the study of epidemiology requires forgetting about individual cases where "some people smoke their entire lives...and still live to be ninety" and studying public health in a SCIENTIFIC manner where populations and variables affecting health are examined as a whole. if you had any academic training at all, you wouldn't have made that statement because it's so very frowned upon by doctors, epidemiologists, and geographers alike. no doctor would EVER say to a patient, "You know, it's not that bad to smoke, cuz some people smoke their whole lives and live to be ninety."

you seem to be quite confident in proclaiming, "the most stunning fact of all", but what really qualifies you to make such statements? do you really think that i am unaware of the gaps that exist in the study of cancers? of course we don't yet know just how many carcinogens it takes to kill each individual person, and again, doctors and health professionals are NOT concerned with that because it's entirely unscientific and unwise to disregard warnings because we simply don't know lethal dosages yet.

and please, stop with the radon-gas argument, scientists hardly know anything about radon gas yet, let alone it's ability to cause cancers in such a rampant fashion as you suggest.

and when did i say anything about 'saving the environment'? again, that's a lay phrase that is avoided by those professionally involved in the field. as for confining people to their homes, that is a poor assumption on your part. please stop acting like you're being so oppressed, you live in the most free part of the world so don't insult people who suffer from REAL oppression everday by complaining that you can't light up a cigarette anywhere you please. where i come from people ask each other if it bothers those around them if they smoke. that's just basic common courtesy and concern for others' health. what do you have to say to the millions of smokers who UNDERSTAND that it's extremely unhealthy and bothersome to the people around them?

Last edited by Mookie Wilson; 10-26-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Mookie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote