Music Banter - View Single Post - Canon in D
Thread: Canon in D
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 02:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Exodizer
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornette View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but classical music is not inherently better than any other genre just due to the fact that its musicians are remembered today. You can't intelligently say for sure that almost every modern artist will be tossed aside in a matter of years.
Really? You ever heard of W. C. Handy. If you really know music than you might have. He was a famous Blues man in his day about one hundred years ago. He was really famous in his day, but you don't need to go back that far to get unremembered musicians. How bout Big Joe Turner. He performed the second rock song to top the charts. The vast majority of famous musicians in their day and age are not remembered. Yes there will always be a few who stick around with us like the Beatles. Classical music is much different. Almost every single classical musician who was famous in their day's music is still played. Even bad classical music is often still played such as Monteverdi (mainly cause he popularized Opera). Also the form of classical music is countless times as complex as almost all the music we listen to today (I would say all but in music theory you also learn about Jazz because Jazz composer's seriously understood rhythm). Chopin used a complex chord structure made purely out of dissonance to write entire pieces without any melody and it sounds great (I can't currently remember the name of the piece I'm thinking off sorry). Beethoven would use very, very few melodies to compose great long movements of a symphony and you barely realize your mostly listening to one melody over and over again. That's variation at it's very best. Will some modern artists be remembered, of course, but the vast majority get washed out with time and that is not true with classical.
Exodizer is offline   Reply With Quote