Music Banter - View Single Post - R.I.P. some girls
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #24 (permalink)
bardonodude
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliteration View Post
I think you're making the mistake of thinking that because they sound different than what you normally hear makes them original. Compared to their earlier stuff, this is much more bland and less original. many bands do very similar things that The Locust do. And I feel my statement for saying they suck is pretty legitimate...I mean, this basically boils down to opinion, right? I mean, musically, I feel they are much more devoid of originality than they were...I compare them to other bands that adopted certain methods they used to use in their music, and many bands are doing many more creative things. You might disagree, whatever. Also, the new stuff doesn't really sound like them, but longer. Their old stuff compared to the stuff now is worlds apart, and much less entertaining to me, but thats just me. No big deal. Sorry to keep beating a dead horse, I'll stop now.

Anyhow, the term "skramz," which it seems not that many people seem to know, was a term coined by Alex aka "Boss Skramz," vocalist for Seeing Means More. Ironically enough, his band doesn't really do screaming vocals, and musically its so different than what most people call "skramz" today. Anyone who has listened to them, they play a breakdown filled type of emotive hardcore/metalcore. I like it, and this was the band that coined the term "skramz" yet they sound nothing like most of these bands people call skramz. I've heard people call Loma Prieta a "skram" band, but they sound nothing like SMM at all, so it seems this retarded term is just being applied to any screamo band nowadays...awesome (sarcasm). Thank all those idiots over at CMHWAK for being tools and making this idiotic term applied to any type of emotive hardcore.
I agree that the locust sound different. I personally like their Plague Soundscapes and Flight of the Wounded Locust stage the most which showed their evolution from the stereotypical death/grind drumming from their selftitled and early splits I guess because gabe was on drums at that timeand before it was some other dude that didnt have nearly as much talent. But their new stuff is awesome as well, I love the change in vocal style although Joey's high pitched scream is absent and probably my favorite. Yea I can agree with you that the new stuff is worlds apart and isnt nearly as spastic as plague soundscapes or their earlier stuff but they are both still original despite having longer songs. They continue to be original showcasing and improving upon their Safety Second, Body Last stage which showed a totally different and awesome side of them. Not many bands have 5 movements in one song. Especially bands like the locust haha. All of their songs on New Erections vary in length. They still have 2 songs off the top of my hear that are under one minute and then others which are all over the place, every song isnt the traditional four minutes that many "mainstream" artists use on their albums.

yea Ive never heard the term skramz before I read it in this thread haha, I guess I just prefer to use traditional terms to characterize music. Loma Prieta is awesome though <3. I wish I would have known about them when they came to ccas (charm city artspace the most wellknown diy venue in baltimore). I found out about them through L'Antietam and they werent all over each others nuts then.
bardonodude is offline   Reply With Quote