Music Banter - View Single Post - E.P's
Thread: E.P's
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Default E.P's

They're great ain't they.

If one is bad they're usually over before you have a chance to get bored of them.
If they're good they leave you wanting more. I have always thought of them as the perfect way to get a taster of a band , you get more of an idea of their sound better than you would with a single , and they tend to have more of an immediate effect than albums.

Let's us give these short bodies of work some much valued attention by posting some of our favourites........

Husker Du - Metal Circus
If I had to choose a favourite ever this would be the winner by a mile. All the energy of their early hardcore punk days but now showing a more mature songwriting style that would shape their later years. 7 songs of pure perfection.

Primal Scream - Narco Dixie
There are several things that could make this EP great. It has Movin On Up ,one of the best opening tracks of all time opening it. But it's not that , that's on the Screamadelica album anyway. It could be Stone My Soul , one of the best Ballads Primal Scream have ever written , but it's not that either. Or it could be the cover of Dennis Wilson's unused song Carry Me Home , but it's not that either. What makes this EP great is the 10 minute long funk filled headrush of the title track of the Screamadelica album that was never used on the album, that's what makes this EP special.

Joy Division - An Ideal For Living
Some people got into Joy Division from listening to Unknown Pleasures. Some people got into Joy Division from listening to Closer , Some people got into Joy Division from listening to Love Will Tear Us Apart. For myself , I got into them after hearing the raw energetic blast of this wonderful piece of work.

The Fall - Slates
Reviewed this elsewhere so no need to go into any detail , only to say this is a bit like a starter to the main course that was Hex Enduction Hour. Not a single second on this EP is wasted.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote