Music Banter - View Single Post - Other Conservatives?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #57 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainstrocks View Post
You're right. I grew up in an upper middle class family. I attend a prestigious public university. I've never had a need in my life (although plenty of wants). But that does not mean I can't express my opinion on this topic.

If we go to a UHC system where does the money to pay for the poor going to the doctor come from? ME! As heartless as it sounds, I want my money to be spent on ME or on things that I want to spend it on. I went to school, I studied, I worked, I made money. I'll be damned if my compensation goes to anyone else (minus the obligitory taxes I pay for roads, schools, etc.)
That wasn't a dig at your own background , just pointing out that if you were to go sick where everybody 'bettered themselves' who would clean your hospitals? who would cook your meals for you? Ambulance Staff , Hospital porters , forget it.
Nurses are some of the lowest paid public sector workers out there , hell some nurses who work in London can't afford to even live there . Would you like them to all up & leave to become accountants or lawyers too?
And their wages wouldn't get better under the private sector either , they'd just go & hire cheap labour from Asia / eastern Europe / Philippines because they have their shareholders to think of.
Of course it's perfectly OK for you to have your 'me me me' opinion. Let's hope you'll never be in the situation where you have to appreciate the long hours & low wages that these people have to deal with to make your life better.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote