Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do you like Country?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #102 (permalink)
littleknowitall
Pow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
Since when is alot of acoustic folk associated with the UK? Compared to the amount of american folk artists (Phil Ochs, Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, etc) and recently (Elliott Smith, Sam Beam, Mike Kinsella, Jeff Mangum).

Anyway, what you hear on the radio isn't country, its more like southern pop. I hate it when people assume all that Garth Brooks **** is what country is all about, with the amount of hype Johnny Cash gets you'd expect people to at least somewhat expect theres more to it.
There's an exceptional amount of British folk out there, it just goes unrecognized i find, it doesn't fair as much as American folk i think because logically America being a lot bigger would have more folk, but I've recently been looking into British folk and although very new to me I'm really enjoying a lot of what i hear, and it seems a very different type of folk than American, entirely different scene, almost couldn't class it in the same genre but it is folk, a lot of Celtic kind of stuff.
littleknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote