Music Banter - View Single Post - Shooter Jennings
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 01:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
billyjerome
Audio Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDER JUNKIE View Post
I really don't get why everyone sucks this guy's dick, I have heard a grand total of two of this guy's tunes that I can genuinely say that I like.

1) Fourth Of July

2) Sweet Savannah

the rest is the same old generic crap that every other pop country radio station churns out by the boatload everyday, please sum up for me that if his last name was Smith why I should listen to him and what sets him apart.

I'm waiting on baited breath for replies
Funny, the only single from Shooter that ranked decent on the Hot Country Songs in 2005 (actually the only single that even ranked on the Hot Country Songs in 2005) was 'Fourth of July'. And if you compare that single to just the top 5:
  1. Craig Morgan - That's What I Love About Sunday
  2. Toby Keith - As Good As I Once Was
  3. Rascal Flatts - Bless the Broken Road
  4. Sugarland - Something More
  5. Rascal Flatts - Fast Cars and Freedom
...I would say that that song sounded the most like 'country' music of today.

I believe he does an awesome job playing his take on classic country. There are many similarities in style and whatnot between the two, including songwriting, method in playing the instruments, and overall sound of the music. The only similarity that 'country' music of today shares with classic country for the most part, is a twang in the singers voice.

But I do agree with you. '4th of July' is one of the better 'country' songs I've heard these days.

And 'Sweet Savannah' is a beautiful song.

I tend to call 'country' music of today Southern Pop.