Music Banter - View Single Post - The Crowquill 100
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 12:05 AM   #134 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

14. Antony and the Johnsons "I Am a Bird Now"

What to say about this album, when I first heard it it made me want to burn Grace and slap myself in shame for saying Jeff Buckley had the most soulful and beautiful voice ever. From the opening track Hope There's Someone it shows to be a powerfully emotive release with beautiful lyrics like "Oh I'm scared of the middle place / Between light and nowhere / I don't want to be the one / Left in there, left in there." Now this album isn't all doom and gloom, when I have an orgasm I shout out the chorus to Fistful of Love.

I don't know what to say about this sexually confused beautiful white boy, other then I thought he was a vibratoing old soulful black man. Backed by the Johnsons with his beautiful piano it creates a magnificent sound. Antony can not only make Hitler cry but he can make Robert Smith smile.
Favorite Song: Fistful of Love
MySpace.com - Antony and the Johnsons - NEW YORK, US - Indie / Experimental / Folk Rock - www.myspace.com/antonyandthejohnsons

13. Beck "Sea Change"

I get alot of crap for this being my favorite Beck album but in alot of ways I see it as (so far) the last great Beck album. He's done the white boy rap thing several times, Guero and the Information are good but they're nothing new. Sea Change was a shocking turn for him (especially considering the release before it) and honestly i'd like to see him trying new things like he did with this album.

Now onto why Sea Change was so different. It's essentially Beck and his acoustic guitar, the album was written in the ashes of a break up. Now while that sounds cliche when I say it, it's not listening to the album because Sea Change just sounds too honest. It may not be as shocking and innovative as Odelay but with intimate and beautiful songs like Lonesome Tears and Lost Cause it doesn't need to be.
Favorite Song: Lost Cause
MySpace.com - Beck - Los Angeles, California - www.myspace.com/beck
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote