Music Banter - View Single Post - The Urban 1000 (ish)
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

110. MX-80 SOUND - HARD ATTACK (1980)

The MX-80 Sound were one of the lost gems of the post punk era. Forming in Bloomington, Indiana in 1978 the band moved to San Francisco where they cut this ,their debut album in 1980. To me MX-80 Sound kind of bridge the gap between punk & early indie. The obvious influences are bands such as Pere Ubu & Television. Lead vocalist Bruce Anderson's delivery owes a heavy debt to Jonathan Richmond of the Modern Lovers , the opening track 'Man on the Move' and 'Facts Facts' in particular. But they don't just leave it at that 'PCB's' for example fuses punk rock with a jazzy feel much in the same way the Minutemen would become well known for. Actually a few of the songs remind me a lot of early Sebadoh only less folky. 'You're not alone' has a kind of jangly Sonic Youth feel to it , but still manages to sound nothing like Sonic Youth. 'Civilised Demeyes' manages to sound like Wire slowed down. 'Afterbirth Aftermath' sounds like Frank Zappa doing punk. The album finishes with 'Checkmate' a short instrumental piece which sounds like lots of horns being played over a Slayer riff.
I love this album , it's like a greatest hits of musical styles between 1975 & 1982. It's badly produced , but in a good way like Dinosaur JR's You're Living All Over Me , It just adds to the charm of the album. Not the most original album around but the energy of it& the kind of homemade feel to it add to it's charm and make me want to come back to it again & again.

Favourite Songs : Man On The Move , PCB's , Facts Facts , Checkmate

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote