Music Banter - View Single Post - Doing a project on Avant Garde music- anyone here knowledgeable about it?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Muzak
Music Addict

Exclamation Doing a project on Avant Garde music- anyone here knowledgeable about it?

So I am doing a project on Avant Garde music, its history and its affect on music in general. So far I have found a few biographies about notable musicians and have found the titles of books about Avant Garde music.

First what are the "sub genres" (might not be the most accurate term to describe them when it comes to Avant Garde) of it? OR at leas notable genres to the style. So far I have noted Free Jazz, Avant rock (or Rock in Opposition), Avant Garde Metal, and just play Avant Garde.

And who are the forefathers of the genre?

this all I think I know.
So far I have found that Edgard Varèse was a huge pioneer and so far the oldest Avant Garde artist I have found. He apparently is a huge influence to Igor Stravinsky, classical musicean very well know for is experimental rhythm and dissonant chords and have influenced many. He also apparently is worshipped by Frank Zappa, the well know Avantrock (or just experimental rock) artist.

Free Jazz was the bridge between odd classical compositions from Igor (and I assume others have done similar things) to Avant Garde as we know it today.
It was the natural progression of Jazz as many Jazz artists wanted to experiment more. John Zorn is a well know Free Jazz artist who has influenced Mike Patton.

Mike Patton, with his projects such as Mr. Bungle and Fantômas, was highly influential figure in Avant Garde in the 90's and is a huge reason why Avant rock still exists today.

Avant Garde/Avant Rock artists I listen to/know about are:

Alamaailman Vasarat
Colonel Claypool's Bucket Of Bernie Brains
Fantômas
Frank Zappa And The Mothers Of Invention
Koenjihyakkei
Mr. Bungle
Praxis
Sebkha-chott
Secret Chiefs 3
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Primus

Free Jazz:

John Zorn
John Coltrane (apparently he has a free jazz album or two)

Avant Garde Metal:

Ephel Duath
Unexpect
Arcturus
Solefald
Gorguts
Maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot

Obviously I need to know more artists. Please correct any mistake I have written, I have only just started learning about this genre that I love. Thanks.
Muzak is offline   Reply With Quote