Music Banter - View Single Post - Beginner looking to get into sax...
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Åke Sjöström
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAncients View Post
I don't think the fingering would be the same, because the tenor plays in the bass clef, while the alto plays in the treble. I may be wrong though.
Sorry to tell you my friend, but Tenor, Baritone, BASS, Soprano and Alto all play (at least are written in) treble clefs. I was a sax player for a brief period of time but hated it and become a bassoonist and its godlike :-P. Sax has its place in music however and I have come to respect it over time (Kalevi Aho how I love thee so). The fingerings on Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bary and bass are all identical.

As far as getting a new horn goes, saxes are relatively cheap (then again I come from bassoons which start with 4 thousand dollars for a student model). I would recommend (if you can) Yanagisawa or Yamaha. Both are stable and I think both have student models. Another trust worthy name is Bundy.