Music Banter - View Single Post - Question
Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
PerFeCTioNThrUSileNCe
Bright F*cking Red

Well...first off, what kind of guitar is it? and what kind of finish does it have?

If it has a thick, highly glossy, nitrocellulose or polyurethane finish (like you would see on most electric guitars) then you can use a number of different things. I've used this Meguiars CAR polish on my guitars. Makes 'em look amazing. Carnauba wax helps protect the clearcoat, and it shines up the guitar like you wouldn't believe.

I wouldn't suggest using actual Turtle Wax on your guitar though...I'm pretty sure automotive clearcoats are more durable than that of guitars. Try the Meguiars stuff though. It comes in a maroon spray bottle.

Scratches on guitar's are hard to get rid of, especially if they're large. If you've got polishing compound and a buffer, try that on an inconspicuous spot on the guitar (ie take off the neck plate and do it under there) to make sure it doesn't ruin your clearcoat. Then if it doesn't....go ahead and try it on the finish where the scratch is. Keep in mind that most guitars with high gloss finishes have something like 9 or 10 coats of nitrocellulose/polyurethane clearcoat on them so unless you get way too happy with the polishing compound, you shouldn't have a problem ruining the wood.

With that said.. DON'T USE EITHER OF THOSE THINGS ON THE FRETBOARD!!!! That would be EXTREMELY bad for it. Things you can use to clean the fretboard are:

Finger Ease - fretboard cleaner/conditioner available at any place that sells guitars

Rubbing alcohol - used sparingly of course. Don't go dumping it on your fretboard. Get a cloth/old sock/something and put a little bit of rubbing alcohol on it and wipe down each fret where need be.

Water - Again...used sparingly. Get a cloth damp in a small area and wipe down the frets. Make sure not to leave any water standing on the fretboard..that'll cause problems.

To condition the fretboard.. you can (sparingly again) use a furniture cleaner. (Pledge for example). They have oils in them that will help keep the fretboard from drying out and cracking.

Make sure that whatever you use on the fretboard is safe for whatever type of wood your fretboard happens to be.

Hope this helps.
My ego's like my stomach- it keeps shitting what I feed it.
But maybe I don't want to finish anything anymore..
maybe I can wait in bed 'til she comes home. and whispers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Star
Remember kids: It's only real metal if the vocalist sounds like he's vomiting up a fetus. \m/
PerFeCTioNThrUSileNCe is offline   Reply With Quote