Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles
Thread: The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #470 (permalink)
fanofthefab4
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
Interestingly enough Lennon once said of McCartney, as being "all form and no substance" and that their song writing partnership was over as early as 1962.
He also went on to say they did their best stuff from then on, separately.

Lennon's early influences were in the earliest forms of R&B and Soul, which explains the Beatles version of the Isley Brothers 'Twist & Shout' (1962), which in turn was produced by a pre fame Phil Spector, of all people.

Lennon's hero was Roy Orbison, which explains his singing style (as he wanted to sound like him...although I don't see it personally)...anyway, my feeling is that the Beatles would have been a far better band if Lennon had kicked the shit out of that prat McCartney from the very start.

Edit: the above rant has no reference to Beatlemania whatsoever, but it's off topic saving grace is that it's by far the most interesting post so far, which includes the opening 'cut & paste' effort.

You don't know what you are talking about Paul McCartney is a true musicial genuis,he's rightfully widely regarded as one of the best rock bass players,singers and song writers and he can play any instrument great! He wrote quite a lot of The Beatles rockers including a few great early rockers,as The All Music Guide says The Beatles showed they could rock really really hard with John's song I Feel Fine,and Paul's great blues rocker She's A Woman,and they said Paul's peerless rocker I'm Down which they said was one of The Beatles most frantic rockers and that they did a really wild performance of this song at the August 1965 Shea Stadium concert! Paul as many people have said wrote the first true heavy metal songs,Helter Skelter on The Beatles great 1968 rock White Album!

And John Lennon never said that Paul's Beatles songs had no substance,he may have referred to a few of Paul's solo songs that way,and he and John did not stop writing together by 1962,they co-wrote songs in 1964,1965, 1966 and 1967! They both co-wrote With A Little Help From My Friends at Paul's piano and they wrote it for Ringo to sing. Also it was Paul McCartney who contributed the interesting Sea Gull sounds from his own tape loop experiments on John's song Tomorrow Never Knows,and Paul wrote most of the great music in A Day In The Life and it was his idea to have the notes from an orchestra rise up and then crash down with the piano too. He half conducted The British Philharmonic Orchestra at age 24 with George Martin!

And read the June 1975 online John Lennon Rolling Stone interview,he says that Paul McCartney's 1973 album Band On The Run is a great album,and that it's Paul's music and it's good stuff! When he was having an affair for a year and half with May Pang while John and Yoko were seperated, John almost went to New Orleans in early 1975 to play on Paul's great 1975 rock Wings album Venus and Mars but he got back together with Yoko instead who became pregnant with his second son Sean soon after.Also John said that Paul was one of the best and most innovative bass players ever and that half of the stuff thats going on now is directly taken from Paul's Beatles period!

Yoko called Paul up not long after John died and told him that John often would tell Yoko with tears in his eyes that he really loved Paul! Paul also plays great lead guitar on his own song Another Girl,John's Ticket To Ride and on George's Taxman as well as that great bass on Taxman! And Bass Player Magazine recently voted Paul # 5 Greatest Bass Players of all time and # 2 creators of best most creative bass lines!

Last edited by fanofthefab4; 12-27-2007 at 04:17 PM.
fanofthefab4 is offline   Reply With Quote