Music Banter - View Single Post - Most OVERRATED albums of 2007
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 04:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
They were better than American Gangster and Graduation, I'll give them that. I personally preferred Da Drought 3. But I do think that the inclusion of both was almost exclusively because they had to be there, they had to be mentioned, rather than their own team feeling they were more deserving than a number of other records.
Yeah it's what people call a token album. Pitchfork (the magazine in question) likes mostly shit rap (they actually rate 50 cent pretty high) so I don't think anyone should be taking their rap listing too seriously and suggest whats on there is credible or deserving.

Quote:
There were numerous albums evidently more acclaimed by their people, such as Sunset Rubdown's, Frog Eyes', Nina Nastasia's and indeed the two I've already mentioned, but which were ultimately dispensable.
What was wrong with Sunset Rubdown's album? I thought it was better than Shut Up I Am Dreaming and certainly better than anything Wolf Parade did and both were amazing.
Quote:
On the other hand, albums they liked but never really loved like Icky Thump and The Flying Club Cup got on (Dizzee Rascal's very low showing on the list I feel is an ode to their own recognition that they overrated this not so wonderful record tremendously when it first appeared).
Pitchfork would never rate the Stripes too high if they could avoid it, it's too mainstream for them. Pitchfork is hardly a magazine that should be taken seriously, they care more about being "indie" than being credible. I think it's the best site for music news but it's opinion and reviews are pretty disposable.

Quote:
It feels as if they had to put out a list that was as typical in some respects as it could possibly be. They snubbed the very lesser-heard material that they're supposed, by reputation/definition, to be championing. And I would love to know why.
I don't really think they did that all, the lesser known material pitchfork champions like Panda Bear for instance becomes huge in the indie scene. I remember before Person Pitch came out Young Prayer was an album known by people into indie-folk and Animal Collective fanboys after pitchfork raved about Person Pitch Panda Bear was everywhere. Now I wouldn't credit them solely for his success but if pitchfork had slammed the release or just ignored it I don't think it would Panda Bear would be anywhere near as popular as he is. Pitchfork's list was extremely predictable and not surprisingly in the least bit. It was exactly what I expected from them.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote