Music Banter - View Single Post - Pop is slang for "yo mama"
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Default Pop is slang for "yo mama"

I know I just posted something of this nature in the Indie forum but I guess I’m having a midlife music crisis. Anyways, the point…

Point: Pop seems to be a caveat. I mean there’s music that is universally known as pop. If you said Michael Jackson made a really good pop album with… I’d be like that was a strait forward comment. But for whatever reason, when a band sits on the fringes of more than one genre and someone proclaims they made a good pop album, I feel as if it’s a slight. As if its not good enough to be in whatever genre they tried to be in, or what a gaggle of mall-trolling preteens want them to be in.

And I realize pop itself isn’t a bad thing. I’m not suggesting that pop music is bad or that acts aren’t in fact pop but I’m asking if people feel as I do, that the term/word pop is sometimes used like a weapon to cut up bands they don’t like. Its easier to say you like a band if right up front you decry them as something other than punk/metal/indie. Its ok to like them If their “pop.” Thoughts on this one?

Example: I don’t know why you’re all bitching, American Idiot was a great pop album.