Music Banter - View Single Post - Tool vs Nickelback
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #72 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
No, see the question was not surrounding whether Nickelback are any good. I mean, it's commonly held that neither Nickelback nor Tool are particularly decent bands, and I tend to go along with that, but I thought at least it would be possible to argue that Nickelback had qualities that set them a cut above Tool. It turns out that I was wrong. Nickelback are, it seems, undeniably more dire than Tool.
Not particulary good? You compared them to Beethoven.----
I'll start off by giving my nod to Nickelback, who I feel have excelled in the past (if not recent times) in pushing the envelope and watching it bend. Like modern rock overlords, they've created the equivalent of the great symphonies of old - How You Remind Me is in all senses the 21st century's answer to Ludwig van Beethoven's 9th. Drawing from a wide range of influences including (but not by any means limited to) early 70s The Who, AC/DC, The Buzz****s, Sonic Youth, The Stooges and Television, they've taken a hodgepodge of ideas and merged them perfectly into a single distinct cohesive sound that has rocked bedrooms across the world.--

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”