Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Nirvana/Kurt Cobain Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #1834 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
Grunge is more of a movement than a genre, most of the bands sound nothing alike. Just look at the "big 4" grunge bands: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. The only thing they all really had in common was location, image, timing and they all played some form of distorted rock.
Yeah, that is a good point, though if it had to be stated which of those bands had the sound that most resembled the majority of bands in the movement, wouldn't it be Pearl Jam?

And then, even if it was a movement rather than a genre, did Nirvana belong in the movement? Some at the time supposedly would have argued they were misfits, too punky.

Even when looking at the bigger post-grunge bands - I find, for example, that bands like Creed tend to have a lot more in common with Pearl Jam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
Green River
Well they were mid-eighties before "grunge" was even spoken of. I think Nirvana deriving from them suggests their college rock influences more than anything else.

I think In Utero was in some ways probably intended to distance from the mainstreamness of the grunge movement and get back some indie cred.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote