Music Banter - View Single Post - The British Indie Scene
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 03:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Perhaps you didn't get the point. There's no doubt that there are a LOT of good British bands still around. The question is whether there's much NEW of any worth in the indie scene. For instance, one of the only London bands I've heard hyped up in more recent times was one called Les Incompetents. They've split up, and they sounded like your typical trashy post-Libertines garbage rock.
Alright cool...I just assumed that if they a band were still around then they would be considered part of "the scene".

Firstly...yeah, I agree with you about all the Libertines ripoffs...there's no originality, nothing interestin about it, and I don't see how so many people can be passionate about it. BUT...I do think the charts in Britain are better now than they were 6-10 years ago. I can tolerate friends listening to this stuff, because I don't think it's BAD music. Just totally uninspiring.

Since you're looking for bands that have recently formed, I can't really think of much. Most of the quality stuff in Britain right now is in the form of Grime and Dubstep music (in my opinion), and it's a bit of a stretch to call that "indie". I like Amusement Parks on Fire a lot, and they formed in 2004...that's the only "indie" band I can think of. Dunno if you'd like them, but they're certainly not a Libertines ripoff. Also, Future of the Left. They're good, but they're no Mclusky.
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote