Music Banter - View Single Post - The British Indie Scene
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 02:49 AM   #58 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Alright, no worries man.

I think it would be of use at this juncture to add a little context to the discussion.

My main disappointment with the British indie scene stems from the following fact: my home, the United Kingdom, is a nation of approximately 61 million people. The United States by contrast has a population roughly 5 times larger. Both countries have massive music scenes. The United Kingdom has a well-renowned fantastic history of pop music. One might expect from the facts of population that the British scene would have an output of, perhaps, 5 times less great independent bands than the USA. This is what I'd hope for. Such expectations, unfortunately, do not seem to pan out.

The States right now has an aboslutely remarkable indie music scene. There are so many excellent, exciting, diverse acts currently active that it goes without mentioning. Britain, at least by contrast, is dry. The ratio of good American bands to good English ones is, I feel, entirely disproportionate. And this is what I find myself so very disappointed with.

I think it is remarkable, and tremendously sad, that a country like Sweden, with a population around 7 times smaller than the UK, probably has a more exciting current/active music scene than us.

My feeling is that whatever bands may be brought into the framework of this discussion, it does little ultimately to disguise the fact that our output is so much smaller than what it really should be. My sentiment stems from these sorts of things, and not any desire to diss or bitch about one thing or another.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote